When yeast cells are killed rapidly, they release toxic products into your bloodstream. In the case of the Candida albicans yeast, this means 79 different toxic substances, including acetaldehyde and ethanol. These can cause symptoms ranging from headaches, poor mental performance to fever.
What is Candida Die-Off?
A strict Candida elimination diet is no easy task to begin with, but it can get even harder because of Candida Die-Off symptoms. The point when the Die-Off symptoms start, is the time when many people prematurely abandon their Candida diet, so its important to be prepared.
When yeast cells are rapidly killed, a Die-Off occurs and metabolic by-products are released into the body. The Candida yeast cells actually release 79 different toxins when they die, including ethanol and acetaldehyde.
Acetaldehyde in particular has a whole host of detrimental effects on your health and wellbeing. It can impair your brain function and lead to poor mental performance. Your endocrine, immune and respiratory systems can all be affected, and it also damages the membranes of your red blood cells, reducing their ability to carry oxygen round the body. Again this directly affects your brain, so you can see how acetaldehyde is linked to Candida symptoms like brain fog and fatigue. These by-products also cause allergic reactions and inflammation that lead to many undesirable symptoms.
Candida Die-Off symptoms will vary from person to person, as each will have different degrees of infestation and sensitivity to them. If you are having severe Die-Off symptoms, slow down your treatment and reduce your dosage of probiotics and antifungals. The liver is your main pathway for eliminating toxins, and the Die-Off symptoms mean that it is being overloaded.
What happens during Candida Die-Off?
When you start a course of antifungals or probiotics, you may begin to experience flu-like symptoms like fatigue, headaches, poor mental performance and brain fog. Many Candida sufferers are confused when they reach this point, and some actually stop their treatment and go back on to sugary foods.
These symptoms are of course the result of Candida Die-Off, a reaction that occurs when yeast cells are rapidly killed in your body. The antifungals and probiotics are destroying the Candida cells, which in turn are releasing large quantities of their toxins into your bloodstream. When the Candida yeast is killed it can actually release up to 79 different toxins, including Ethanol and Acetaldehyde. If your liver can’t act fast enough to remove them, the toxins become responsible for a wide range of Die-Off symptoms. Products like Milk Thistle and Molybdenum help your liver to expel these toxins, making the side effects of Die-Off much more bearable.
Here is a list of some of the symptoms you might experience during a Die-Off (otherwise known as a Herxheimer reaction):
- - Fatigue
- - Headache, fatigue, dizziness
- - Swollen glands
- - Bloating, gas, constipation or diarrhea
- - Increased joint or muscle pain
- - Poor mental performance
- - Nausea
- - Chills, cold feeling in your extremities
- - Body itchiness, hives or rashes
- - Sweating
- - Fever
- - Skin breakouts
- - Recurring vaginal, prostate and sinus infections
Die-Off relief products
If you have started your Candida Diet and you are experiencing some of the Die-Off symptoms, there are supplements that you can take to make your treatment easier. We've listed the best of them below, along with some alternative strategies that you can try too.
- Molybdenum Molybdenum converts acetaldehyde (the major toxin released during Die-Off) into acetic acid. This can then be excreted from the body like any other toxin.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) restores your adrenal function and helps to boost your immune system.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic amid) B5 is almost as effective as Vitamin C in supporting your adrenals, and it’s actually best if you take both. It also helps removing the acetaldehyde by providing your body with the building blocks to synthesize Co-enzyme A, that can metabolise acetaldehyde.
- Milk Thistle contains a compound (Silymarin) that helps to repair damaged liver cells and protect them from the toxins released at Die-Off.